Acne is inevitable. It comes when we’re stressed, if we have oily skin, if our diet is not the healthiest, and during that time of the month. The only thing worse than acne itself is the dreaded scars they leave behind. I’ve always struggled with post acne scars and hyperpigmentation for as long as I can remember. How many of you have felt like no matter what product you used or new skincare regimen you followed, your acne would ALWAYS leave a scar? Not only would it leave scars, but the scars would take forever to disappear! Don’t worry, I’m going to share with you some tips on how to get rid of acne scars.
There’s nothing that makes me more self-conscious than those ugly acne scars. It’s frustrating when I had to use extra makeup just to cover them up. Although I still have some stubborn acne scars, I’ve seen a dramatic difference my skin in the past month just by using these 3 inexpensive products.
This post contains affiliate links. Which means if you buy something through those links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see the disclosure page for more information.
Prevent Acne In The First Place
The only way to completely prevent acne scars is to develop a regimen that prevents acne. My favourite thing to do is double cleanse with a cleansing balm first. One of my favourite cleansing balms is the Clinique- Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm. Secondly, I follow up with the Inkey List Salicylic Acid facial cleanser. Salicylic Acid is known for combating and preventing acne and I’ve definitely seen a decrease in my acne with this cleanser.
Acne Scar Products I Use:
1. The Ordinary-Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA
This serum targets dark spots, age spots, and hyperpigmentation. Alpha Arbutin is known for evening out skin tone so it was essential to add to my nighttime skincare regimen. I apply this only at night directly after toning my face. The addition of Hyaluronic Acid locks in the moisture making my skin feel soft and supple.
2. The Inkey List- 1% Retinol Serum
Retinol comes from Vitamin A and is mainly used to bring back elasticity to the skin. However, Retinol also treats post acne scars by brightening the skin and reducing uneven skin tone. It should only be used at nighttime and with caution. It’s a strong serum for sensitive skin, so I began using it 1-2 times a week, then gradually increased to 4 times a week. I’ve noticed that my skin is much brighter and clearer since I started Retinol.
3. The Inkey List- 2% Tranexamic Acid Night Treatment
I am SO glad I came across this serum because it completely transformed my skin. This is my new holy grail skincare product. The only purpose of this serum is to reduce hyperpigmentation and acne scars while brightening the skin. It should only be used at nighttime because nighttime is when our skin cells repair themselves. The great thing is you only need one pump of this gel, so it lasts a long time. I started using it at the beginning of this month and within 2 weeks my stubborn acne scars were faded.
Tips on How To Get Rid of Acne Scars
- With any product that targets hyperpigmentation, acne scars, and age spots, the key is to be consistent. I talk about consistency in a previous post as well. Nothing happens overnight, so stick with a consistent skincare regimen and you will start to see a difference.
- I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing sunscreen everyday. Sunscreen is going to allow the products to work to their full potential because it helps blocks out the Sun’s harmful rays. UV rays actually worsen dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Have patience. I know it’s difficult because we want to see those results now, but the reality is if you want beautiful skin, you’re going to have to be willing to be patient. Don’t dwell on the results daily. Instead, take monthly photos so that you can compare monthly your progress.
Let’s chat in the comments. Have you alway struggled with a skin concern? What products have made a dramatic difference in your skin?