I love wearing makeup, whether it be a simple look or full glam! But one of my biggest pet peeves is when I spend time doing my makeup only for it to last a couple hours at max before it rubs or sweats off. If you’re an oily-skin girl like me, then you know how frustrating it can be when you’re constantly dabbing excess oil off your face and compromising your makeup. In this post, I’m going to offer you easy tips to make your makeup last all day so that you can stay flawless.
This post contains affiliate links. Which means if you buy something through those links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see the disclosure page for more information.
Prepping Your Skin is Important
The preparation of your skin is the most important step. From cleansing to moisturizing to priming, these are all vital in smooth, flawless makeup that lasts all day.
- Start by using a cleanser that takes off all dirt and oil without leaving your skin dry. One of my go-to cleansers is the Cetaphil Gentle Daily Scrub.
- After cleansing, use a moisturizer and sunscreen that provide adequate hydration, but is to oily. Even if you have oily skin, moisturizing is a step that shouldn’t be skipped because your skin requires hydration. If you skip moisturizer, you will notice that your skin becomes oilier because it’s trying to compensate for the lack of moisture.
- Lastly, using a primer is necessary for your makeup to last all day. Put primer on your face for foundation and your eyelids for eyeshadows. Makeup adheres to the primer so that it doesn’t easily rub or sweat off. A great, inexpensive primer for all skin types is the e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer.
Use the Correct Makeup in the Correct Order
What do I mean by correct makeup? Use makeup that clearly states it’s Long lasting, 16-24 hour foundation, etc. These products have ingredients specially formulated to withstand water, wind and oil. Also, using makeup in the correct order can be the difference between a 2 hours and 16 hours of makeup wear.
- Begin by applying your concealer to colour correct areas of hyperpigmentation and letting it dry if it’s a liquid concealer.
- Apply your long-lasting foundation on top of your concealer with a blending sponge or foundation brush. The key is to add small amounts of foundation and build as needed. Using a lot of foundation all at once can cause your foundation to look cakey. Continue blending your foundation until it melts into your skin.
- Apply your highlighting concealer under your eyes, and allow it to dry down a bit. Blend using a blending sponge. Immediately after, use a small amount of setting powder with the same blending sponge, pressing it into the highlighted areas.
- Lightly set your entire face with a loose setting powder that’s the same shade as your foundation.
- Apply eye makeup, blush, highlighter, and lip product after these steps.
Set Your Face the Right Way
Setting Spray is a must in any makeup routine. Just like the foundation, find a long-lasting setting spray like the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray or the MAC Prep and Prime Fix+ Setting Spray. Since I started setting my face this way, I’ve seen a dramatic difference in the finished product of my makeup as well as the hours it lasts.
- Mist the setting spray liberally on your face and allow it to dry for about 10 seconds.
- Take a blending sponge and spray it with the same setting spray. Wait for the sponge to fully absorb the setting spray.
- This step is the most important step. Press the sponge with the setting spray into your face to fully set your entire face. You’ll see how quickly the foundation melts into your skin and looks so smooth.
Easy Tips to Make Your Makeup Last All Day
With these three easy tips, I’ve seen my makeup look smoother and last an entire work day. Even while wearing a mask and face shield! These tips have definitely changed my makeup game, so I encourage you to give them a try if you’ve been struggling with your makeup lasting all day.
What makeup problems do you usually run into?